Ricoh has just officially announced the new Ricoh GR III, offering impressive image quality, fast response, and immense portability. This new camera has a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and GR Engine 6 to realize smooth tonality and rich color, with the ability to produce high-resolution 14-bit DNG stills or Full HD video, an updated 28mm-equivalent prime lens, which features a bright f/2.8 design, to suit everyday shooting with a comfortably wide field of view, a 3-axis Shake Reduction System. This new camera costs $899.95, first available for Pre-Order at B&H/ Adorama.
- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and GR Engine 6
- Featuring an updated design, a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor pairs with a new GR Engine 6 to produce high-resolution 14-bit DNG or JPEG stills with impressive tonality, natural color rendering, and fine detail. In addition to full-resolution, wide-angle images, a pair of useful crop modes—35mm at 15MP and 50mm at 7MP—let you simulate the look of working with longer focal lengths.
In addition to stills shooting, the GR III is also capable of recording Full HD 1080 video at 60p, 30p, and 24p frame rates.
- Prime Wide-Angle Lens
- A fixed prime 18.3mm lens offers a comfortable 28mm equivalent wide-angle lens, which is complemented by a bright f/2.8 maximum aperture to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions. The optical construction incorporates six elements in four groups, including two aspherical elements that help to reduce spherical aberrations and distortion for improved sharpness and accurate rendering. Two focusing modes also suit working with general subjects, from 3.9″ to infinity, while a dedicated macro setting benefits working with close-up subjects within a 2.4-4.7″ range. Additionally, the redeveloped lens design also results in greater contrast and measures 1.5mm thinner than previous GR/GR II digital cameras.
- Shake Reduction System
- Featured for the first time in a GR camera, a 3-axis Shake Reduction System helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake in order to promote sharper handheld shooting at slower shutter speeds. The Shake Reduction System has been optimized for use with the built-in 28mm-equivalent lens, which renders it smaller and more effective. Additionally, the SR unit also offers moiré reduction and dust removal capabilities.
- Body Design
- The hallmark feature of the GR-series has been its compact, pocketable size while still retaining a large image sensor and bright prime lens.
- Integrated 3.0″ 1.037m-dot LCD features a capacitive touchscreen design for intuitive, familiar operation during shooting, playback, and menu navigation.
- The rear layout of the camera has been completely redesigned and prioritizes a larger, more comfortable thumb grip along with easily accessible physical dials. Additionally, the ADJ lever, FN button, and Touch AF operations can be programmed to handle specific assignable functions for more personalized control.
- Start-up time has been reduced to 0.8 sec and Hybrid AF performance has been quickened for more seamless operation.
- Integrated Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi afford wireless connectivity between the camera and a paired mobile device, and allows you to embed location info within your files as well as transfer files to your mobile device, even when the camera is turned off.
- USB Type-C port allows you to transfer files or recharge the battery in-camera.
Read more Ricoh Camera Rumors