Nikon has just announced the new Nikon D6. Featuring Nikon’s most powerful AF system to date for capturing every heart-pounding, pivotal moment, Nikon D6 is an uncompromising workhorse that lives up to every professional demand in any environment. This new camera costs $6,495.95, first available for pre-order at Amaozn/ B&H/ Adorama.
- 20.8MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 6 Image Processor
The FX-format 20.8MP CMOS sensor is paired with the EXPEED 6 image processor to offer a proven mixture of high sensitivity, nuanced image quality, and fast overall performance. At native values, a sensitivity range from ISO 100-102400 permits working in a broad array of lighting conditions, an can be further expanded to ISO 50-3280000 (Lo 1 to Hi 5) to handle the most challenging of situations. The mixture of resolution and sensor size also contributes to clean image quality and smooth color transitions with reduced noise throughout the sensitivity range.
In addition to benefitting image quality, the EXPEED 6 processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate of 14 fps for up to 200 consecutive frames. For sound-sensitive situations, a silent 10.5 fps rate can be used for discreet shooting and, if choosing to work in a lower resolution and in live view, up to 60 fps shooting is possible at 2MP or 30 fps shooting at 8MP.
- 105-Point All Cross-Type Multi-CAM 37K Autofocus System
Dubbed “the most powerful AF in Nikon’s history,” the Multi-CAM 37K autofocus system uses an intelligent array of 105 all cross-type points to quickly and accurately achieve focus across the frame and in a variety of lighting conditions. This high-density system allows photographers to set focus almost anywhere within the frame in order to avoid recomposing. This unique design reduces the area of non-AF-sensitive areas in order to make the effective coverage 1.6x greater than in previous models, which allows for more accurate and faster focusing across the frame, with both still and moving subjects. When working with moving subjects, 17 custom Group Area AF settings can be used to set and maintain focus on subjects featuring busy backgrounds or fast subject movement. Benefitting the use of super telephoto lenses and teleconverters, 15 of the points are compatible with an effective aperture of f/8 and all 1053 points support working with effective apertures of f/5.6 or brighter.
Complementing the abundance of focusing points is a dedicated AF engine, which offers quick response times to benefit tracking fast and randomly moving subjects, even at the top 14 fps shooting rate. The AF engine also contributes to enhanced focusing sensitivity, with the ability to focus at -4.5 EV for working in very dark, low-contrast situations.
- 4K UHD Video Recording
Taking notice of multimedia image-maker’s needs, the D6 incorporates adept video recording capabilities. Able to record UHD 4K at 30, 25, and 24 fps frame rates, Full HD and HD recording is also supported, along with the ability to save movie files to the in-camera memory cards or as an uncompressed file to an optional external recorder via HDMI out.
As with still shooting, the wide range of sensitivities is available for recording in low- and bright-light conditions, ranging from expanded ISO 100-3280000, and sensitivity values are manually adjustable via the dedicated movie-shooting menu. Also, a video-optimized Flat Picture Control mode can be used during recording to flatten the overall contrast curve for more control during post-production and color grading.
In regard to handling, a dedicated power aperture button (Pv) makes it possible to achieve smooth, continuous exposure transitions when switching from light to dark areas, and Auto ISO can also be used to maintain consistent brightness when working in changing light situations. Audio recording can be handled using the built-in stereo microphone or an optional external mic can be added via the 3.5mm stereo jack for greater control over quality. Regardless if using the in-camera mic or an external mic, audio levels can be adjusted in 20 increments and live monitoring is possible via the headphone jack, which afford 30 different volume levels for playback.
In addition to straight movie recording, time-lapse recording, for up to 9999 consecutive frames shot over the course of up to one week, is also possible with up to UHD 4K at 30 fps output from the camera.
- Body Design and Connectivity
- A large 3.2″ rear LCD monitor features a high 2.36m-dot resolution for clear, vivid playback and live view shooting. The monitor is also a touchscreen for more intuitive menu navigation and settings control. The touchscreen is also usable while shooting, giving you the ability to choose a focus point or an area to set the white balance from. The screen can also be used as a keyboard for quickly entering notes, copyright info, or IPTC metadata.
- The bright 0.72x optical pentaprism viewfinder covers 100% of the FX frame for framing accuracy. A detachable DK-27 Eyepiece Adapter also lets you attach a rain cover directly to the viewfinder for more comfortable shooting in wet conditions.
- Configured with two CFexpress Type B/XQD memory card slots, allowing you to extend file saving capabilities by permitting overflow recording, in-camera file duplicating, or the ability to segregate raw and JPEG files between the two cards.
- The familiar body design incorporates a vertical grip that is designed to be equally as comfortable and efficient when shooting in the vertical or horizontal orientation.
- Advanced customization options help to create an intuitive and efficient way of working with the camera, including configuring re-callable preset camera settings, such as distinct AF settings, for immediate use and quick switching depending on the shooting situation. There are 14 different buttons that can be personalized with up to 46 different functions for easier access to the settings you need and an intuitive i Menu, accessible via the i button, provides a shortcut to the most oft-used camera settings, which can be configured to your own needs. Additionally, save up to four custom shooting combinations from the Custom Settings Menu and up to four from the Photo Shooting Menu for faster switching between shooting settings.
- A robust magnesium alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- The ergonomic grip and overall form factor are shaped to benefit handling for extended periods of time and are further accentuated by anti-slip, textured joysticks and easy-to-open card slot covers. Additionally, most of the rear buttons on the rear of the camera are illuminated for greater visibility when working in dim lighting conditions.
- An electronic front-curtain shutter helps to minimize mechanical vibrations in order to better ensure sharpness during long exposures.
- The high-precision shutter mechanism has been tested for a long lifespan of 400,000 actuations.
- The included EN-EL18c rechargeable lithium-ion battery is CIPA-rated to last for approximately 3580 shots per charge in single-frame release modes.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work in conjunction with Snapbridge for seamless wireless file transferring and remote camera control from a mobile device.
- Integrated GPS module enables in-camera file geotagging.
- The built-in wired LAN function of 1000 Base-T (Gigabit) standard enables high-speed, seamless transferring of still imagery and movie files for expediting an entire post-production workflow. For more robust wireless file transferring, the D6 is also compatible with the optional WT-6A Wireless Transmitter.
Scene Recognition System and Exposure Metering
See also 2020 Nikon Camera Deals
Read more Nikon camera rumors