Leica has just officially announced the new compact camera Leica V-Lux 5. Mixing a long zoom with apt imaging capabilities, it is a versatile camera characterized by its ergonomic design and travel-friendly feature-set. This new camera costs $1,250, now available for pre-order at B&H/ Adorama.
- 20.1MP 1″ CMOS Sensor
- DC Vario-Elmarit ASPH. 16x Zoom Lens
- 25-400mm f/2.8-4 (35mm Equivalent)
- 2.36m-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- 3.0″ 1.24m-Dot Articulating LCD Monitor
- UHD 4K30 Video Recording
- Up to 12-fps Shooting
- 4K Photo Modes and Sequence Composition
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Connectivity
20.1MP 1″ CMOS Sensor
DC Vario-Elmarit ASPH. 16x Zoom Lens
4K Video and 4K Photo Modes
The sensor and processor combination also enables 4K video recording at 30p in the MP4 format at 100 Mb/s. These 4K capabilities also permit recording 8MP stills at 30 fps in a trio of ways:
- 4K Burst: Just as with video recording, this mode will allow you to continuously record 8MP images at 30 fps for up to 15 minutes, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- 4K Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you’re unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record 8MP images at 30 fps one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- 4K Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the 4K video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
Post Focus and Focus Stacking
Another attribute of the 4K capabilities is a unique focusing method called Post Focus. Working in conjunction with the contrast-detection focusing system, Post Focus records imagery as a 4K MP4 file at 30 fps and shifts the specific point of focus throughout the burst shooting in order to offer a range of distinct focusing ranges to choose from. During playback, via the camera’s touchscreen, you can then tap the specific region of the image you wish to be in focus and an 8MP JPEG file will be created. Multiple individual files with different points of focus can be created from the original burst and focusing assist functions can also be used to gain even more precise control over the specific in-focus region.
This technology also allows for producing focus stacked images in-camera to realize a greater depth of field, especially when photographing close-up subjects. In this mode, images are recorded and saved with varying points of focus and then blended together to gain an extended depth of field.
Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- High-resolution 2.36m-dot, 0.74x-magnification electronic viewfinder is integrated into the body design to permit comfortable eye-level monitoring.
- Alternatively, a rear 3.0″ 1.24m-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is also available for live view shooting, image review, and intuitive menu navigation. The screen features an articulating design that flips out 180° to the side and then tilts 270° to permit working from high, low, and front-facing angles.
- The included rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides you with approximately 440 shots per charge and in-camera charging is supported via the micro-USB port.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, along with the Leica FOTOS app, allow you to wirelessly share photos and movies to linked smartphones and tablets for direct sharing online. This connectivity also allows you to remotely control the camera from a mobile device.
Read More Leica Camera Rumors