Leica has just officially announced the Leica M10-D. It is a rangefinder camera with no LCD, featuring a 24MP full-frame CMOS sensor and Maestro II processor, a top ISO of 50000 and a 5 fps burst rate. The M10-D has some degree of environmental sealing. This new camera costs $7,995, first available for Pre-Order at B&H.
- 24MP CMOS Sensor and Maestro II Processor
- A redeveloped full-frame 24MP CMOS sensor pairs with the Maestro II image processor to deliver a wide dynamic range with notable color rendering, as well as enhanced sensitivity from ISO 100-50000 to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions. The image processor also incorporates a 2GB buffer to afford fast continuous shooting at 5 fps for up to 40 consecutive frames in a burst.
- Optical Viewfinder and Rangefinder
- The optical viewfinder is a large, bright-line 0.73x-magnification rangefinder with automatic parallax compensation and bright-line frame lines, which are set to match the image sensor size at a focusing distance of 6.6′. On the front of the camera, a viewfinder frame selector can also be used to manually change the apparent image field to help visualize the scene with varying focal lengths; options are available in 35mm/135mm, 28mm/90mm, and 50mm/75mm focal length pairs.The rangefinder mechanism displays split or superimposed bright field images within the center of the viewfinder to benefit accurate manual focusing control. The effective rangefinder metering basis is 50.6mm (mechanical metering basis 69.31 mm x viewfinder magnification of 0.73x).
- Body Design
- Characterized by its lack of a rear LCD screen, the M10-D, instead, has a rear +/- 3 EV exposure compensation dial that is reminiscent of film-era Leicas’ ISO dial. The outside ring of this dial is also where the On/Off selector is, as well as a dedicated On with Wi-Fi position.
- Simulating the design of a film advance lever on the top plate, an integrated fold-out thumb rest improves ergonomics, handling, and shooting stability, especially with heavier lenses.
- Dedicated button to the right of the shutter release is used to check the battery level and remaining storage on the SD memory card, which is displayed in the viewfinder.
- Slim body profile is reminiscent of Leica’s film cameras for easier handling and manipulation.
- Integrated ISO dial is featured on the top plate to permit simple and direct adjustment of sensitivity values, even when the camera is turned off.
- Top and bottom plates are machined from solid blocks of brass and the chassis is built from magnesium alloy for a truly durable, hard-wearing physical construction.
- Rubber seals are used to prevent the entrance of light rain and dust to enable working in inclement conditions.
- A top hot shoe permits working with an external flash and the top sync speed is 1/180 sec.
- Based on the M10-P, the M10-D gains the same ultra quiet shutter design along with an inconspicuous appearance without a Leica red dot.
- Black chrome finish body has a genuine leather wrap.
- Compatible with the optional Visoflex accessory electronic viewfinder for manually focusing adapted lenses or working with super wide-angle lenses; the EVF only supports viewing and capturing functions as there is no menu or playback functionality with the camera.
Below are the detailed specifications:
|MSRP||$7,995 Pre-Order at B&H|
|Body type||Rangefinder-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||5952 x 3992|
|Other resolutions||5952 x 3968 (JPEG, 24MP), 4256 x 2932 (12MP), 2976 x 1984 (6MP)|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.8 x 23.9 mm)|
|White balance presets||8|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|Optics & Focus|
|Lens mount||Leica M|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Viewfinder type||Optical (rangefinder)|
|Minimum shutter speed||8 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||No|
|Continuous drive||5.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 12 secs)|
|Exposure compensation||±3 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|Remote control||Yes (via cable trigger)|
|Battery description||BP-SCL5 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||660 g (1.46 lb / 23.28 oz)|
|Dimensions||139 x 38 x 80 mm (5.47 x 1.5 x 3.15″)|
|GPS notes||via optional Visoflex EVF|
Read More Leica Camera Rumors