Canon has just officially announced the new Canon EOS RP. It is a compact full-frame mirrorless camera using the company’s RF lens mount, featuring a 26MP CMOS sensor, Digic 8 processor and Dual Pixel AF system with 88% x 100% coverage and Eye AF, a 2.36M-dot EVF, 3″ fully articulating LCD and single SD card slot that supports UHS-II media. This new camera costs $1,299 available for pre-order at B&H/ Adorama. It will start shipping on February 27, 2019.
- Canon RF Lens Mount
- The EOS RP features the RF lens mount, which support Canon’s line of RF-mount lenses. This mount is characterized by its wide 54mm diameter and short 20mm flange-back distance, which promotes the ability to design lenses that are both faster and smaller than their SLR equivalents. The mount also incorporates a 12-pin electronic contact system for more sophisticated autofocus and image stabilization capabilities. This mount design also lends full compatibility to existing EF and EF-S-mount lenses via an optional EF-EOS R Mount Adapter.
- 26.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- A large 26.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor is featured and serves as an ideal balance between high-resolution output, low-light performance, and high-speed capabilities. When paired with the DIGIC 8 image processor, the EOS RP has a wide sensitivity range for working in a variety of lighting conditions.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system’s ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
- Body Design
- Integrated 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder affords a bright and clear means for eye-level viewing.
- Rear LCD features a vari-angle design for easier use when working from high, low, and front-facing angles. It is also a touchscreen for intuitive control over shooting, playback, and menu navigation controls.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity enable wireless sharing, control, and image transfer with a compatible smart device via the Canon Camera Connect app, which also supports geotagging your files using your mobile device’s location data.
- In-camera charging over USB is supported for easier on-the-go charging.
Below are the detailed specifications:
|MSRP||$1,299 (body), $2,199 (w/RF 24-105mm F4L IS lens) at B&H/ Adorama|
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6240 x 4160|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||26 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||27 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.9 x 24 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-40000 (expands to 50-102400)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||102400|
|White balance presets||6|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal|
|Optics & Focus|
|Number of focus points||4779|
|Lens mount||Canon RF|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Manual exposure mode||Yes|
|Subject / scene modes||Yes|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Continuous drive||5.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 secs, custom)|
|Exposure compensation||±3 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC card (UHS-II supported)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via cable or smartphone)|
|Battery description||LP-E17 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||250|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||485 g (1.07 lb / 17.11 oz)|
|Dimensions||133 x 85 x 70 mm (5.24 x 3.35 x 2.76″)|
|SUPPORT CAMERA-RUMORS, BUY FROM ONE OF OUR AFFILIATE RETAILERS, THANKS !|
|Canon EOS R||Check Price||Amazon/ B&H/ Adorama
|Canon EOS R w/ 24-105mm Kit||Check Price||Amazon/ B&H/ Adorama
See Also 2019 Canon Camera Deals
Read more Canon Camera Rumors